I’m cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the primary time in years. And naturally, I intend to provide ‘ol Martha a run for her cash. 🤨
Which means I should be extra severe and discerning about the primary ingredient of the most well-liked dishes – the potatoes.
Till a number of years in the past (after I initially wrote the story Nice Northern Potatoes for the P+V newspaper), I used to be of the mindset that there have been two forms of potato – candy and not-sweet.
They usually had been white or orange.
What else mattered?
On the time, my grocery retailer alternative was as restricted as my information, and I by no means thought extra about it.
That’s, till I examine a potato ‘faire’ someplace in England the place gardeners wandered from tent to tent in Barbour jackets and wellies with charming paper-wrapped packages of unique seed tubers tucked beneath their arms.
I’m all the time questioning why we (People) can’t have these kinds of good issues. I’m all the time jealous.
It’s a few years after that first story and within the month of November as I write this – every week earlier than Thanksgiving. My grocery retailer tater choice has since grown barely, however it’s nonetheless uninspiring.
A fast google seek for ‘potato truthful in England’ (with out the additional e) turned up greater than a web page stuffed with upcoming occasions! (I ponder if I’ll discover much more it I’m going all English on the spelling…😉 ) I additionally simply re-realized that it’s now (and for a lot of months to come back) potato planting season.
I yam spuddenly stuffed with tots of tubers! So, I believed I’d revisit that unique story.
(created in partnership with Samantha Dion Baker who did all of the illustrations)
Nice Northern Potatoes
There are various extra forms of potatoes that may be grown nationwide – however these are among the varieties that may be grown within the Northern USA (and Canada). If you happen to’re within the south you will have a a lot wider number of candy potato choices and in addition alternatives that may tolerate warmth. In different nations, you may discover a vary of equally distinct flavors and textures that may swimsuit a spread of potato cooking.
I’m reminded that like apples – potatoes varieties are regionalized and that makes for an important alternative to play a component in preservation whereas additionally rising one thing distinctive to your area’s historical past and native tradition.
Listed here are all of the initially featured potatoes – plus a number of additions:
- Purple pores and skin and darkish pink flesh
- Excessive in antioxidants
- Fairly pink flowers
- Spherical yellow tubers with a blush of pink
- Pest resistance is nice for natural growers
- Resists sprouting in storage
- Holds form when cooked making an important alternative for salads
- Gentle moist flesh is ideal for au gratin recipes and sautéing.
- The blue pigment shields tubers from extremely violet mild at excessive altitudes.
- Blue-fleshed potatoes, like kale and spinach, are excessive in nutritional vitamins and antioxidants.
- King Harry is a spherical white Irish potato
- Bred at Cornell College
- Hairs on plant stems deter bugs
Enjoyable Reality: Irish potatoes will not be Irish – they’re a sort of white potato from the Andes of South America (the place potatoes are native) that was dropped at Europe within the 1500’s and that are additionally related to the notorious potato-disease famine in Eire.
- Vivid yellow fleshed German potato
- Dependable and prolific producer
- Easy and creamy with good taste
- White Flowers
- Purple Pores and skin with snow- white flesh
- Significantly good for latkes
- A wonderful new potato; harvest early
- Tear drop formed fingerling formed
- Also called a Mandel or almond potato
- Nutty taste, good for roasting
- Russet – darkish brown leathery pores and skin
- Rectangular formed and good for baking
- Excessive in Vitamin C and Protein
- Yellow Flesh
- Waxy and dry texture makes good French fries
- Makes the most effective mashed potatoes
Two different attention-grabbing forms of potatoes which are good for northern gardeners.
- Excessive yield and straightforward to develop
- Most resistant the late blight and least favourite of voles
- Yellow, small, stubby heritage fingerling potato
- Grown by Russian settlers
Notes on rising and getting ready homegrown potatoes
- Retailer potatoes soiled, they’ll hold longer
- Plant crops nearer collectively to withstand cracks
- Combine candy potatoes (that are higher for you) with common potatoes to extend diet.
- Potatoes with extra straight starches (amylose) might be floury – finest for sautéing, mashing or steaming
- A potato with extra branched starches (amylopectin) might be extra agency and waxy – finest for salads and boiled.
- Dry potatoes are finest for frying.
- Adirondack Purple, All blue, Carola and Butte will also be planted for his or her fairly flowers
Candy Potatoes that may Develop within the North
Candy potatoes are tropical crops which are illiberal to cooler temps they usually require longer interval of development (90-150 days to maturity) which may make them a problem within the north. However if you wish to give it attempt – these two varieties are your finest choices.
- Very candy, no further sugar wanted
- Excessive yield and early to mature
- Has cracks and desiccations (which could be lower out when getting ready)
- Nut and honey flavors
- White pores and skin and creamy coloured flesh
- Resists grubs and soil rot
Potato Texture Chart
|Amylose/ Amylopectin||Gentle and Moist||Creamy and Mid-dry||Crumbly – Dry|
|Potatoes on this row have extra straight starches (amylose). This makes for a extra floury texture||Adirondack Purple, All Blue||Carola||Butte|
|Potatoes on this row have extra branched starches (amylopectin) for a extra waxy and agency potato that holds collectively||Caribe, Elba, Prairie Blush, Russian Banana, King Harry||Yukon gold|
The place to seek out potato begins to develop in your backyard:
A wide range of potatoes (not together with sweets) can be found from Wooden Prairie Farm – www.woodprairie.com
Additionally discover seed potato varieties at
Excessive Mowing Seeds – www.highmowingseeds.com
The Maine Potato Woman – www.mainepotatolady.com
and Hudson Valley Seeds – www.hudsonvalleyseed.com
Steele Plant Firm LLC – www.sweetpotatoplant.com
Illustrated by: Samantha Dion Baker
Be part of my Free Webinar At present!
– Be taught my 7-step system to design and construct a shocking backyard wherever on this planet.
– The 5 errors EVERYONE makes when making a backyard. (save your self time, cash, and complications and get a lot better outcomes!)
– The way to work immediately with me (however at a DIY value!) to design and create YOUR personal attractive backyard.